Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Flowers: A Few Camellias

camellia japonica, c.m. wilson, huntington gardens
Camellia Japonica: C.M. Wilson

Happiness
(By Carl Sandburg)

I asked the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell
     me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of
     thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though
     I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along
     the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with
     their women and children and a keg of beer and an
     accordion.



camellia japonica, happy holidays, huntington gardens
Camellia: Happy Holidays

Well, I couldn't find an appropriate poet's birth date to go with our lovely camellias. Therefore, I fell back on this Sandburg classic, simple but strong. And, with such gorgeous flowers to appreciate, how can one not be inspired towards happiness?

As for the camellias, I'm happy that I was finally able to share them with you. Again, they're from my trip to the Huntington. I was hoping to get around to one of the flower show, but that hasn't happened. Being so late in the season, it's unlikely that I'll get around to showcasing one this time. Oh well, there's always next year. ;-)


Anyways, Spring is right around the corner, a few weeks away. Then there will be plenty of flowers and festivals to share with you all. And we can always find happiness in the simple beauty of the flora around us.

camellia reticulata, mandalay queen, huntington gardens
Camellia reticulata: Mandalay Queen

Now, though the flowers may leaven our mood, let's sink into despair in order to properly commemorate the birth date of Carlo Gesualdo, a late Renaissance composer. Oh, the agony!!!

"Tristis est anima mea"

"Sparge la morte"

"Miserere"


Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment