Saturday, February 23, 2013

The World Looks Mighty Good to Me

Tootsie Roll, World Looks Mighty Good to Me, vintage ad
"Whatever it is I think I see becomes a Tootsie Roll to me!"

Inventions in foodstuffs are notoriously hard to properly date, but today is as good as any to celebrate the creation of the Tootsie Roll in 1896. These chewy chocolate-like rolls have sweetened the palates of children for many generations. Sticky and dark, they've kept many a dentist in secure occupation as well. ;-)

I was never a Tootsie enthusiast. Although chocolaty, they were not actually chocolate bars, and, in my youth, I wouldn't settle for anything less than the real deal. Moreover, the gooeyness never appealed to me, as it clung to my teeth in a viscous tar-like manner. Yuck!!!

Nevertheless, Tootsie Roll commercials filled the airwaves between cartoons throughout my childhood. The famous jingle from 1977 will probably be floating around in my brain long after important memories fade with age.

"Tootsie Roll, I think I'm in love with you!"


Well, let's look at some vintage ads.

"The World Looks Mighty Good to Me"


"Tootsie Roll Square Dance" with Farmer Al Falfa and his Terrytoon Pals

"Tootsie Roll Indian Dance"

And for the Tootsie Pop, "How Many Licks"


Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment