Monday, April 16, 2012

Look of Love

Dusty Springfield was born on April 16, 1939

Another quick hit to celebrate the birth date of a lady with a meltingly smooth and warm voice, Dusty Springfield.

You all should know by now that I adore the "songbirds" of the '50s and '60s, from Julie London to Sarah Vaughan; few things please me more than a female vocalist soulfully winding a song in rich and fervent tones. Whether the piece is uptempo and bright, leisurely and hot, or gentle and slow, the passions are authentically conveyed by the singing traditions of the era.

I have many favorite "songbirds" on my Top Ten, a list that is always changing, but Dusty Springfield is a constant. Her voice became the sound of "white soul", introducing this powerful style of music to a broad audience. Yes, she played up the campiness of her stage persona, but, underneath the mod and glam, there is a powerful expression of life and emotion, from the painful to the blissful.

And that's what I want to consider, this veracity of sensation, to admire in celebration of the day.


Let's listen to some music.

"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me"

"I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten"

"The Look of Love"


Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment