Monday, January 16, 2012

There's a Quiet Storm

Sade Adu; photo from Diamond Life (1984)

Helen Folasade "Sade" Adu was born on January 16, 1959.

I adore her voice, dark and soulful, smooth but passionate. Her gentle articulation subtly expresses great emotional intensity. Her songs are inviting, beguiling, and seductive, pulling the listener into an aural whirlpool of primal emotions, love and sorrow and hope.

I've occasionally debated the style of music that Sade performs? Is it smooth jazz? Or is it soul? How about the generic "Adult Contemporary"? I still haven't found a genre or niche into which I can fit her music, which I think is a good thing. The music has hints of many styles and influences, but doesn't conform to standards.

I'm the type of person who likes to label things, work them into a fixed scheme of types. Yet, I can respect and admire the artist who creates a unique and distinct type of expression.

Sade Adu; photo for the Best of Sade (1994)

So, the style of music that Sade performs is simply the style of music that Sade performs. ;-)

Let's listen to some music:

"Smooth Operator" (1984)

"Soldier of Love" (2010)

"Nothing Can Come Between Us" (1988)

"King of Sorrow" (2000)

"No Ordinary Love" (1992)

"The Sweetest Taboo" (1985)


Enjoy!!!

1 comment: