Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pacific Standard Time: Update #6

Pacific Standard Time logo

Well, it's been a month since my last Pacific Standard Time update, which is why I dropped the "weekly" from the post title. Apparently, that would have been one very long week. ;-)

The reason for my lack of updates is that I wasn't attending enough events to justify the necessity for one. Of course, there were many awesome events in November, but my health difficulties kept me from experiencing them. I'm seriously hoping that I can soon start aggressively covering the art scene again, including the PST events. Moreover, I still haven't visited either the Getty or MOCA, both of which have been on my "to visit" list since October.

It's a frustrating situation.

Nevertheless, I've finally got enough to make for an interesting update. Last weekend, I was able to attend two PST related talks. The Norton Simon Museum had an informative "salon talk" regarding their exhibition, "Proof". And dnj gallery, at Bergamot Station, had an engaging talk featuring photographers, Robbert Flick and Susan Rankaitis. In both cases, the learning about the historical context in which the art pieces were created made for a fascinating topic.

As I finally seem to be making my way back into good health, with the assistance of modern medication, I'm chomping at the bit to get back onto the Art Beat. Woo hoo!!!

Anyways, here are the shows that I've visited since the last update:


The Group Shoe (1962) by Roberto Chavez
Autry National Center

Art Along the Hyphen: The Mexican-American Generation









Peace Press Graphics
CSU Long Beach, University Art Gallery

Peace Press Graphics 1967-1987: Art in the Pursuit of Social Change










 
L.A. Diary excerpt #20 (1967) by Robbert Flick

dnj Gallery (Bergamot Station)

Then and Now












Gypsy Rose by Jesse Valadez
 
Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA)

MEX/LA "Mexican" Modernism(s) in Los Angeles, 1930-1985







 

Jivaroland Frog Cup (1968) by Ken Price

Norton Simon Museum

Proof: The Rise of Printmaking in Southern California












 
Brillo Boxes (1969) by Andy Warhol

 Pacific Asia Museum

46 N. Los Robles: A History of the Pasadena Art Museum










Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment