Thursday, December 22, 2011

Modernism in Art and Dance

Angel of the Americas (2005) by Perez Celis, on view at the Museum of Latin American Art

Last weekend, I paid another visit to the Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA) to see their exhibit, MEX/LA: "Mexican" Modernism(s) in Los Angeles 1930-1985, which I had seen briefly on a previous visit. The works on display were very thought-provoking.

This time, I took a leisurely stroll through the galleries, giving the pieces great consideration, both as regards their individual qualities and as regards their contribution to the overall premise of the show. Curation is often times like constructing an argument, beginning with a thesis statement, then laying out statements and evidence of support. An exhibition ought to be every bit as conceptually tight as a refined work of rhetoric or logic.

The MEX/LA show covers a wide range of artists, styles, and eras, but it succeeds in showing various approaches to the expression of a cultural construction. It's both aesthetically and intellectually engaging.

Portrait of the Artist as the Virgin of Guadalupe (1978) by Yolanda Lopez 

While I was at the show, a live dance performance by the Regina Klenjoski Dance Company took place within the galleries. I didn't know such an event was scheduled. So, it was a pleasant surprise for me. ;-)

Anyways, I'm hoping to pay another visit before the show wraps in early February. I'm not a big fan of Long Beach, but perhaps I'll start venturing down a bit more often, making MOLAA a focal point in my southern excursions. Woo hoo!!!

Detail of Zapata (1931) by David Alfaro Siqueiros

Here are some vids:

Safe Area (2010) by Daniel Ruanova

Streetscapes (2004) by the Regina Klenjoski Dance Company

The Museum Project: Long Beach Museum of Art (2008) by the Regina Klenjoski Dance Company

Fire and Ice (2010) by the Regina Klenjoski Dance Company


Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment