Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Age of Bronze

Monument to Honore de Balzac, first modelled 1897, cast in 1967 (9/12) by Auguste Rodin

Auguste Rodin was born on this day in 1840.

Los Angeles is lucky enough to house two significant collections of Rodin's sculptures: LACMA's Cantor Garden and the Norton Simon Museum. Additionally, Stanford University up in the Silicon Valley houses a superb collection that is well worth a long drive (or quick flight) and overnighting the weekend.

I'm so familiar with his works that I sometimes overlook them, passing them by without so much as a glace. The Thinker at the Norton Simon rarely receives a visit from me anymore. So, it's important to remember how awesome these works are.

The Thinker (1880, 11/12) by Auguste Rodin

Let's take a look at a few classic Rodin's and renew our appreciation for his genius.

Here are a couple more of my local favorites.

The Burghers of Calais (1889, 10/12) by August Rodin

Eve (1881, 9/12) by Auguste Rodin

Detail of The Burghers of Calais

I'm planning on visiting the Norton Simon Museum today. So maybe I'll have some more photos for you later. For now, here's a vid on my favorite Rodin sculpture:



Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment