Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Flowers: Bougainvillea

Purple bracts of the Bougainvillea glabra vine.

from Tanka Diary

Don't need picket fences, brick wall,
or razor wire. Our home's protected by
prickly pear cactus and thorny bougainvillea.


LOL! Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "thorny bougainvillea" that springs up all over the South Bay. But I was in the mood for purple flowers and, although I snap floral pics throughout the week, I didn't get any good examples for this episode of Friday Flowers. And so we feature a vine. . .

Bougainvillea at the Redondo Beach Civic Center Garden

Actually, I'm not a bougainvillea hater. As an ornamental vine, they are a solid design choice, especially since they come in a wide variety of colors. I prefer magenta or purple, but each garden has its own color scheme that the bougainvillea can match. Additionally, they make for a very nice bonsai plant as an indoor ornamentation.


So that's our Friday feature for the "Paper Flower". I'm hoping to hit some quality botanical gardens and flower shows this holiday weekend. So next week should have many fine flowers.

Purple Bougainvillea

Here's Al Jarreau's Jacaranda Bougainvillea.




Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment