Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weekly Wrap: Wednesday Night #5

Mr. T was the spokesman for Snicker's "Get Some Nuts" ad campaign.

It's that time of week again. I've haven't been feeling so good recently, but I was able to post acceptable numbers this week. That's mainly because I did a few quickie posts, but I'm cool with that if you readers are. I didn't slack much on the longer form articles, delivering on six decent posts. I'm not happy with that production, but I'm satisfied.

I really fell off the horse on doing my contemporary art posts, especially as regards gallery visits. I hope to fix that situation this week. I saw a few really good shows last weekend, but I haven't had the time to give them a good write up. Fingers crossed!!!

In any case, here's the Weekly Wrap.


The goddess Parvati at the Norton Simon Museum

The theme of this week was music. We celebrated the music of the baroque composer Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber. Then we commemorated the 20th anniversary of Metallica's Black Album. The birth date of Leon Theremin give us the opportunity to listen to his weird invention and imagine invasions from space. Finally, the great jazz record, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, was the focus of the final post of the week.

Flower Friday was dedicated to the Hibiscus and to the Hindu goddess Kali. On Spooky Sunday, we enjoyed a classic of gothic literature, "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe.

Although we didn't visit any art galleries in this week's posts, we did take a look at the various Hindu goddesses of the exquisite collection of Southern Asian art at the Norton Simon Museum. Good stuff!

Our advertising feature of the week was the various Snickers campaigns over the decades. It was really satisfying. ;-)

And then we had three quickie posts to fill out the posts per day. We expressed sorrow for the sad plight of wild gorillas. We remembered the wonderfully skating of Midori Ito. Then we looked at a couple cool covers from the early years of Amazing Stories, the original science fiction magazine.

It was fun. I hope you all enjoyed the diverse offerings. Since it has become our tradition to end the Wrap with a disturbing image, we turn to the classic covers of Frank R. Paul to meet our demands.


Amazing Stories, September 1927 (Illustration by Frank R. Paul)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment