Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shot Through the Heart and You're to Blame

Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet (1986) originally had this planned for the cover art.

Ah, the power of nostalgia. I used to despise Bon Jovi's music back in the day, but, listening it to now, I actually am charmed by the enthusiasm and forthright style of performance and composition. For instance, Livin' on a Prayer has a rich authenticity underlying the cheesiness of Bon Jovi's lyrics. It's an engaging bit of music.

Maybe it's a function of not having to hear it being played on the radio or MTV a zillion times per day. Maybe it's that the "Pop Metal" sound of the late '80s carries positive associations with my youth. Maybe it's because I've grown more sophisticated in appreciating the positive qualities of music regardless of genre or style.

Whatever the case, here's celebrating 25 years of Slippery When Wet.


You Give Love a Bad Name!!!

Killer, Dude!!!


Here are the songs:








Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how that goes? I'm the opposite of you: I loved Bon Jovi back in the day (even went to a concert), but now tend to cringe when I hear those same songs. Weird. But thanks for reminding me of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yeah, I know what you mean. Another 25 year post could have been written about Kenny G's Duotones album, which I liked back in '86. But now, I'm filled with embarrassment whenever I hear Songbird.

    ReplyDelete