Friday, May 27, 2011

Shadowtime


Wishing a Happy Birthday to Siouxsie Sioux, born on this date in 1957.

Yeah, I have an eclectic taste in music. Although I never got into the Goth scene of the late '80s and early 90s, I enjoyed the music. Certainly, it could get a bit overwrought and angsty to the point of hilarity, but, when the excesses of pathos are avoided, there were some memorable works of music. Now, I wouldn't classify Siouxsie and the Banshees as just a Goth band, because their music has notable post-punk elements that don't fit well with the Gothic aesthetic. It's probably most accurate to label them as "alternative rock".

Whatever you want to call them, Siouxsie and the Banshees were wonderfully experimental. Heck, they even have a song that uses the glockenspiel!!!




So let's get to the music.

As you may recall, I'm an enthusiast on anything regarding Roman history. So, how can I not adore a song about the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD?




And then there's my adoration of the Ladies of the Silver Screen of classic Hollywood. So, how could I not adore a song about Jayne Mansfield?




Now, if only they had a song with a connection to a comic book topic, it would be just perfect. Hmm. . .




Well, I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there for now.

Here's a link to the Siouxsie and the Banshees Wikipedia page.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment