Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Wellspring of Good

Bronze Equestrian Statue of Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius, born on this date in the year 121, is my favorite Roman Emperor, the last of the "Five Good Emperors." Additionally, he is one of my favorite moral philosophers. Whenever I read his Meditations, it amazes me to consider that this dutiful, humble, and authentic voice is of the Most Powerful Man in the World!!! Would I be so ethical and righteous if I had supreme wordly power? I seriously doubt it.

I don't think that I'd go all Nero or Caligula, but I wouldn't be writing Stoic reflections in my private journal. No, I'd be eating exquisite food, drinking fine wine, enjoying the cultural and intellectual richness of the Roman arts and letters, and relaxing with pleasurable company. I would hope that I'd have the ethical integrity to govern with wisdom and responsibility, but that would be secondary to having a good time.

I wouldn't be writing things like this in my private journal:

Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so.
or

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Now, when you read such concepts in the works of Epictetus or Musonius Rufus, these are admirable ideas. But it's no surprise that people with such little worldly power would try to tame the chaotic pulls of ambition and desire. Finding contentment with a humble existence is a coping mechanism for the weak and disenfranchised. The Roman Emperor is neither weak nor disenfranchised!!!

And this is what makes Marcus Aurelius so admirable. The Stoic virtues are not mere coping devices for a life of hardship. They are relevant regardless of worldly status. Marcus Aurelius doesn't practice the Virtues because he needs to; he practices them because they are Right.

Here's a short vid about the life of Marcus Aurelius:




Here's a link to Marcus Aurelius' Wikipedia page.

If you are interested in Moral Philosophy, definitely check out the Meditations, which is available free on-line at many locations including at the Internet Classics Archive or Project Gutenberg.

Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment