Saturday, April 16, 2011

Through a Window

GW #2 by Michael Eastman.

I had the opportunity to stop by dnj Gallery at Bergamot Station in Santa Monica where they were featuring an exhibit called "Plexagraphs" by Michael Eastman. It was a compelling show.

The "Plexagraphs" are photographs printed within or upon a plexiglass base. Through some novel technique, Eastman has created an effect that doesn't just create a visual overlap of images, but rather fabricates a sense of depth within the image. There is a clear forground, a window. There is a vague background, architectural forms. But there is an implied mid-ground created by a some textural and luminescent effect seemingly within the plexiglass itself. At least that's how it seems to me.

It was a fascinating display of illusionistic skill.

On an emotional level, the pieces made me feel lonely. As a Viewer, I was looking through a window upon a vague scene of desolation, a forlorn place of urban decay. Between the Viewer and the Object was a space of diffuse pearly grey, hinting of fog or an overcast sky. In total, these works were depicting a place of abandonment.
I found the exhibit to be a deeply moving show.

In any case, don't take my word for it. If you're able to get to Santa Monica, check it out for yourself.

Here's the link to dnj Gallery.

Here's a link to Michael Eastman's website.

And while I was viewing the show, one of the gallery staffers, Annie, was very informative and friendly. I'm always thankful for enthusiastic art professionals. So, since she's an artist herself, I recommend checking out her website. Much beach-lovin' fun. ;-)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment