Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Keep His Eyes Covered

A Paler Shade of Being by Caniglia

I've been doing some research on blogs, blogging, and the various styles and genres of such. One type of blog that caught my attention was the "dream blog" which is one part dream journal and one part public discussion of symbolism. I'm not really into dream analysis but I am into symbols and images.

Anyways, I thought that I might give it a try. However, I had two concerns. First, I was a bit worried that my dreams would be boring or only appropriate to an "Adult" blog. Second, I normally can't remember my dreams unless I wake up in the middle. Fortunately, my unconscious mind decided to cooperate with today's project. Here it is:

At a library, I met some tall, scrawny, bearded, long-haired hipster who could spontaneously generate tiny beetles from his hair by whipping his head around like you see in various shampoo or hair treatment advertisements. I was totally skeptical, but, upon extensive review, that claim was confirmed. So I started researching the topic, aided by my sister, flipping through the massive tomes that this library held. Somehow, we eventually discovered and obtained a thin wand of tightly wrapped paper, like an artist's paper stomp.

Apparently, blowing at the end of this wand would result in the manifestation and projection of little white flies, similar in shape to the critters in the image above. We gave it to a friend to blow upon, as we took observations and notes. However, our friend is apparently an imbecile and he decided to project the flies at random, like a kid with a peashooter. This made my sister very angry. She snatched the wand away from him and berated him for his stupidity. Meanwhile, I was brushing myself down, making certain that there were no little white flies on me.

Upon waking up, I identified a song with this dream, Schubert's "Des Baches Wiegenlied". Here's a performance of the work:




I doubt it has any meaning beyond random subconscious associations, but it certainly is a curious imagining. This dream blogging thing is kind of fun. ;-)

Here's a link to Caniglia's website. Plenty of haunting images can be found there.

And here's a link to the Wikipedia page on Die schöne Müllerin.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment