Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Always Tell the Truth


We're also celebrating the birthday of Giorgio Moroder, born in 1940. His music is not my "cup of tea" but it certainly has a distinct sound. I remember being in a club in the early '90s when his song "The Chase" from the movie, Midnight Express, came on. Although that song was like 15 years old, there was still a bunch of enthusiasm for it. It's got a memorable vibe that is hard to resist.




My favorite Moroder compositions are from the movie, Scarface. The individual pieces don't stand out as showstoppers, but together they set up a strong mood. They capture the film's spirit. In the game, Grand Theft Auto III, this music is used both for a laugh and as a reference motif. It's a cool form of appropriation. "Flashback FM, where every night's a dance party.

Here's my favorite piece from the soundtrack, Debbie Harry singing "Rush Rush":





Finally, I wouldn't be a child of the '80s if I didn't link to Flashdance:





Here's a link to Giorgio Moroder's Wikipedia page.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment