Friday, April 15, 2011

Art Is Never Finished

Virgin of the Rocks (Louvre) by Leonardo de Vinci

Again, we celebrate the birth date of another Old Master! Leonardo was born on April 15, 1452. He was an amazing thinker, great artist, and the archetype of the Renaissance Man. His influence upon subsequent artists was profound and far-reaching. Even into late Twentieth Century post-modernism, his ideas still bear fruit.

That being given, I'm not a big Leonardo enthusiast. To be honest, I generally prefer the works that bear his influence, such as some mid-period Raphaels, over the works of the Master himself. The Mona Lisa and the Last Supper are certainly masterpieces and are rightly held in high regard, but they don't ring my bell. For me, it is the Virgin of the Rocks and various sketches that capture the interest.

The appeal of the sketches are self-evident. They show the creative energy and unedited invention of the artist. But why the Virgin? I confess. I am enthralled by the "Madonna" genre. That's why I have such a passion for Raphael's works. I feel that the Virgin of the Rocks sets the stage for the High Renaissance exploration of the genre. When I look at it, I see those Madonnas that have come before and those that will come afterwards. It is a pivotal works within the genre. Moreover, it embodies Leonardo's aesthetic ideals as well as any of his other works.

In any case, here's a link to Leonardo da Vinci's Wikipedia page.

And here's a cool video inspired by his illustrations:



And, for today's inspiration, a quote:


"In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time."

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment